Saturday, October 29, 2011

Repair a rip with a patch?


I'm often asked about whether patching a rip, tear, hole or puncture in a canvas painting is a good way to correct the problem. I did a search on YouTube once and found an instructional video showing how to do it. BUT, in my 35 years of doing quality art/painting conservation on paintings on canvas I can tell you that almost always, a patch on a painting will cause problems and even cause more damage. I was abhorred, actually, at how many people had watched this video and there was no other voice telling the other side of the story. So, I made a video!

Well, the video has now been seen by lots of people and there are some interesting comments/questions that you will find interesting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOk0vk3w5zs

In my opinion, this is information/education that every collector should know. The questions that have been asked are very good too and show insight. This sharing is hoped to keep you from damaging paintings, save you money and protect your fine art investments.

If you like the video, please leave a comment/question! And please leave a THUMBS UP.

Art conservation questions? Call Scott M. Haskins 805 564 3438
Art appraisal questions? Call Richard Holgate 805 895 5121

http://www.fineartconservationlab.com

No comments:

Post a Comment